Home - Plug In - I Want to Become a Member
I Want to Become a Member
The New Testament clearly indicates that groups of people who were followers of the Lord Jesus Christ identified themselves with and committed themselves to a particular local body.
In order to implement the principles of accountability and commitment to the local body of Christ, as defined in the New Testament and practiced in the early churches, Harvest Bible Chapel recognizes the need for formal membership. Membership at Harvest Bible Chapel is for all who are believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and have visibly demonstrated that commitment through believer's baptism.
The effectiveness of our joining together will be determined by the level of the commitment we make. In a society where so few make commitments and fewer still keep them, Harvest Bible Chapel is seeking a group of people who are determined to know the joy Christ intended for His body, the church. To this end members of Harvest Bible Chapel must be willing to live in submission to our doctrinal statement. Further they must be willing to abide by the entire membership commitment.
Procedure for Membership
- I have, by faith, become a follower of Jesus Christ and I have been baptized as a visible way of demonstrating that commitment.
- I humbly affirm, believe and support the teaching of this church and agree with Harvest Bible Chapel’s Doctrinal statement.
- I accept my responsibility for how things are done here and submit to the authority of the Elders and leadership of the church.
- I will regularly attend the weekly worship service at HBCYR (Worship Christ).
- I will, with God’s help, seek to maintain my consistent disciplines of prayer, bible study and evangelism and I will be an active and willing participant of a Harvest Bible Chapel -York Region small group (Walk with Christ).
- I will, with God’s help, be actively and willingly serving Christ here at HBCYR (Work for Christ).
- I will faithfully and humbly give back to the Lord a biblical portion of my income by financially supporting the ministries of HBCYR, and be a good steward of all resources God entrusts to me.
- I will neither criticize nor listen to criticism concerning any member(s) of this body and will, when personally offended, speak directly and lovingly with those involved.
- Attend the Peak Performance classes. This class is a clear and concise overview of who Christ is, how one becomes a Christian, and how to be meaningfully connected to the church.
- Upon completion of the class any person professing personal faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior who has expressed that commitment visibly by being baptized, or are willing to be baptized at the next available service, should indicate their desire for membership on the Peak Performance response card. The card will be turned in to the church office for further review and a follow up interview.
- Your name will be placed in the bulletin or posted at the church for a period of two weeks. During this period members will be encouraged to clear up any relational or other difficulties which could hinder your ministry among us. This is done in the spirit of Matthew 18:15-17 so that both you and the Harvest family will benefit.
- At the end of the two week period those who remain as candidates will be welcomed into membership on the next Sunday set aside for that purpose.